On any given day, there are approximately 397,000 children in foster care in the United States. Despite the common perception that the majority of children in foster care are very young, the average age of kids in care is 9. On average, children remain in state care for nearly two years; 9 percent have languished in foster care for five or more years.
In 2012, more than 58,000 children who were living in foster care and waiting to be adopted had their biological parental rights permanently terminated. And, while states should work rapidly to find safe permanent homes, children spend an average of nearly two years (22.2 months) waiting to be adopted.
God directs His church to accept the magnificent responsibility and mission to stand in the trenches, fill the huge gaps in child welfare, and reach out to the most vulnerable among us. We must care for those who cannot speak and protect themselves in a world plagued with selfishness, self-destruction, and absolute despair.
Through Christian foster care, Sunrise Children’s Services has answered the call to help individuals who join in this very special ministry of blessings and servanthood, and be His word in action. Sunrise Children’s Services ministry allows our team of dedicated, professional staff to fully connect our history of helping children in crisis to the present in order to build our future in accordance with the Lord’s directive in James 1:27.
We believe no one is more exceptionally equipped and gifted to take an active role in the lives of our Commonwealth’s most abused and neglected as God’s church. God has mandated this role to us and we are called to represent Him and show true life testimony to the fact His grace is sufficient in weakness, and that His mercy and grace will bring the fullness of peace during the most tragic times in life.
We are seeking families to surround a child and invite him or her to experience a community that is the church made real in action, not just in word. Coming to the defense of the broken, showing the love of God to the helpless, creating an environment of love and support for the forgotten and seeking justice in the midst of chaos is the very calling of the church, and Sunrise works to fulfill that calling every day.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Be a Kentucky resident.
- Have a valid Commonwealth of Kentucky Driver's License.
- Have reliable transportation and automobile insurance.
- Mentally and physically able to care for a child/children.
- Rent a home that is safe and free from hazards.
- Have space for a child or an additional child in your home.
- Willing to complete criminal background and child abuse checks.
- Willing to complete the pre-service training and participate in a home study.
- If you are married, you have you been continuously married to, and living as a family with your current spouse for a minimum of one year? Co-habitating couples are not permitted.